Top 10 Things to Love about Pugs Part Two
Earlier in the week I shared with you my Top 10 things to Love about Pugs Part One. Today I am here to share with you the remaining 5 points in my Top 10 Things to Love about Pugs.
6. They are patient & gentle – Pugs are so patient and gentle, whether it be with humans or other dogs. In particular, they are patient and gentle with children and puppies. I have seen pugs tolerate a child patting them roughly, pulling their tail and more. More recently, I have seen Ref interact with an 8 week old puppy. I was concerned he would be too rough for such a small dog or wouldn’t tolerate a puppy constantly nagging them considering he has settled down and doesn’t want to play all that much anymore. But he had the most patience for this puppy allowing them to play with him and even when he was done, he tolerated them nagging him to play. With him towering over this puppy, I was also concerned he would be too rough and perhaps unintentionally hurt the puppy but he was so gentle that I had no concern he would be too rough with the puppy. Patient and gentle… just what you want in a dog when there are children and puppies around.
7. They are protective – Pugs are so protective of their family that they tend to forget their own size. They will let you know who is boss and stand guard should they think their family is in danger. I know Ref is protective of us in our own home and will get so protective that he barks at any animal that comes on the TV, tries to get it and doesn’t stop until it has gone. Protective is an understatement I think.
8. They are loyal – I think pugs are one of the most loyal breeds and we know all dogs are loyal. Because pugs are bred to be companion dogs, they strive to please their owners and will remain loyal no matter what. Their loyalty is also the reason they never want to leave your side. Loyalty goes along way so make sure to return that loyalty to them. It is definitely one of their top qualities.
9. They are smart – Pugs are a very clever breed. They are usually quick to pick up the things you teach them. They are also quick to learn how to win you over and become boss of the house. They are smart to learn their routine quickly and let you know should you deviate from it. The best part is you can train them to do whatever you want. They will pick it up. Just take a look at the photos I create with Ref. He is smart to know that the camera ultimately means treats and therefore he is happy to sit and pose for the camera. He even knows that he can milk the situation and pretend not to listen to me so I will give him treat earlier to get him focused on the job at hand. Smart, I tell, smart.
10. They love unconditionally – I can honestly say that I didn’t know what unconditional love from a dog was until Ref. We have always had dogs as long as I can remember and they were loyal and loving dogs. Bootlegs take that to another level. Every one of the points that I have mentioned that make them great ultimately is because of their unconditional love for their family. They are happy, a people’s dog, playful, snuggly, patient, gentle, protective, smart, loyal and even food-motivated because they love everything in life and everyone they meet. To know and understand what true, unconditional love is, is to be loved by a pug. And to love a pug.
What more can I say about pugs. They are everything I have talked about and more. They are what I described in my top 5 pug pet peeves post. They are everything I wrote about in the my top 10 things to love about pugs part one. They are definitely everything I have spoken about here. They are a whole lot more too.
What is your pug to you? Tell me in the comments what you love the most about your pug. What makes them the best breed for you?