Top 10 Things to Love about Pugs Part One
I recently wrote an article called Top 5 Pug Pet Peeves where I wrote about some of the things I don’t like about pugs. And whilst these things are a downside to owning a pug, I truly believe that you are meant to have a pug if these things are bearable because there are 10 things you love more about a pug to the 1 thing you don’t. So today, I am sharing the first in a two-part series on my top 10 things to love about pugs.
1. They are a people dog – Pugs were originally bred to be companion dogs so naturally, this is what they are best at. They just adore people. They want to be with you or anyone else in your family all of the time. There is hardly a time where I get up from the lounge without Ref following me. He is my little shadow. Pugs just love people. And they are great with kids. I see it every time my 3 year old niece comes over. Ref adores her.
2. They are food-motivated — Now I know that I wrote that begging is one of my top 5 pug pet peeves because pugs love food that much but it has its plus side too. Because they love food so much, it can help make training them a whole lot easier. When Ref was a puppy, I never took him to puppy school but I did do some basic training with him at home. The one thing I could guarantee he would always do was sit for food. And last year, I decided that I wanted to learn to teach Ref some more commands so I could take better photos of him. I was amazed at how quick he learnt to do a lot of the commands because it meant he would get food. He loves his food that much that he would do what I wanted a lot quicker than I expected. Food is also the reason I can take the photos I do with Ref because he knows he will get reward with some treats for it.
3. They are playful – Pugs love to play whether it be with their toys, other dogs or with their humans. And watching them play brings so much joy. Now if I only I could get Ref to play with toys. He loves to play with people and some dogs. But one thing is certain, they are adorable when they want to play with their cute little tail wagging with their bum in the air.
4. They love cuddles – if you wanted a definition of a lap dog, the pug would be the best. Yep, that’s right. Pugs are perfect lap dogs. They love cuddles and unless it is too hot for cuddles, they don’t want to be anywhere else than on your lap. One of the things I love most about winter is the pug cuddles I get from Ref. It is not just sitting on my lap in winter, it is full on snuggling. During the day he loves to snuggle up onto my chest with my arm wrapped around him so I can keep him warm. At night, he loves to be under the blankets and sleeping up against my chest or back. In summer, he still loves his cuddles, they just aren’t for very long as he gets too hot. But nonetheless, he loves cuddles. Even the kind where I pick him up and cuddle him like you would a kid.
5. They are happy dogs – Pugs are always happy. Though their face may say otherwise, their tail will always tell you they are. In 4 and ½ years, I have only ever seen Ref’s tail dead straight and that was the day I brought him home at 8 weeks of age and even then, it didn’t last long like that. He is always so happy to see people and dogs, with his tail wagging all of the time. There are times that he is so happy that I swear he will wiggle his bum off. So no matter what, don’t be fooled by their face, I guarantee you they are happy.
So here we have it. The first 5 of my top 10 things to love about pugs. What do you love most about your pug? Did I mention it in Part One? If not, perhaps it will pop up in Part Two. Whatever the case may be, I am positive we could create a top 100 list of things to love about pugs. So tell me in the comments what you love most about your pug.