We all know that I love treats made from coconut oil because they are so easy to make. And since I add coconut oil to the pug’s food daily, I wanted to be able to give it to them in a variety of ways instead of just plain ol’ coconut oil on its own. So in comes another dog treats recipe just for you. This time I came up with a flavour combo your pug will inhale. No jokes. These peanut butter, banana + coconut oil dog treats are going to be your pug’s favourite way to consume their daily dose of coconut oil.
We already know the amazing benefits of feeding coconut oil and if you don’t, check out just why you should add it to their food now! But why combine this super food with banana and peanut butter? Well to put it simply, it is a flavour combo that pretty much all dogs love. There is something about peanut butter that makes most dogs go crazy. Personally, I don’t get it. I can’t stand peanut butter. But you need to keep in mind that not all peanut butter is created equal. It is quite often filled with added salt which your pug just doesn’t need. So look for an organic peanut butter that is made from 100% peanuts and nothing else. You can’t go wrong when it is just one ingredient.
But why banana? Well I find my pugs will go crazy for banana too. But bananas are packed full of goodness. They are a good source of potassium, manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, fiber, biotin and copper. They are also low in sodium and cholesterol. And if you are feeding probiotics, bananas are a great prebiotic to feed with those gut boosting probiotics. However, bananas are high in sugar content so should only be given in small amounts and not daily which is what makes this recipe great.
Grab the recipe below:
- Some fun silicone moulds
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 small banana
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Liquify coconut oil in its jar by placing it in hot water
- Add coconut oil, banana and peanut butter to blender or NutriBullet
- Blend until well combined
- Using a squeeze bottle, or spoon if preferred, pour mixture evenly into silicone moulds
- Place in freezer until set
- Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for long term storage
You can pick up some great fun shaped silicone moulds for making treats on eBay or Amazon. Try one of these moulds:
- Paw Shaped Mould from eBay Australia
- Paw & Bone Shaped Mould from Amazon US
- Bone Shaped Mould from eBay Australia