It is so easy to love a pug. But the truth of the matter is that there are downsides to owning a pug too. Today I am going to cover my pug pet peeves (and yes, that was pun intended).
1. Pug hair – The first thing I hate about owning a pug is the pug hair. It gets everywhere. As I like to say, Ref hair is a condiment in our house. My clothes always have pug hair on them, even if they just came out of the washing machine. It gets on clean dishes in cupboards even if it is buried deep in the cupboard where no pug would fit. It’s always on the floor and the lounge so I definitely suggest a good pet vacuum. I pull something out of a brand new box for the first time and well what do you know, pug hair seeks it out immediately. Did I mention that it gets in places you just think it wouldn’t be possible? You know, like the bath tub that doesn’t get used, in the top of your built in wardrobe and my favourite is definitely the toilet seat. Any visitor in our house would think Ref uses the toilet. So when I say everywhere, boy do I mean everywhere!
2. Licking – I don’t mind pug kisses one bit. I even frequently ask Ref for kisses. But kisses are one thing and excessive licking is another. I don’t know if all pugs do this but Ref has this habit every night after eating dinner where he sits with either my mum or myself and licks. Licks your hands, your arms and the lounge or armchair. And when it comes to the armchair or lounge, he makes wet patches so you can’t sit there or put your arms there. And not just in one spot but in multiple spots so you can’t escape it. Like I said, kisses are one thing…
3. Bed-hogging – I know it sounds trivial but this is no laughing matter. How does a 10kg, 50cm long dog take up so much room in a double bed? The amount of times I’ve woken up during the night because I can’t move is crazy. One night it may be that if I move one way, I will roll out of bed and if I move the other way, I will squash a pug. The next night it may be that I no longer have the use of my pillow. I now even have a pillow for me and one for Ref to use. But I think the biggest one I hate is when I roll over and behold, I kick the wall. Sharing a bed with a pug is like sharing a bed with 3 people. I can’t imagine what it is like to share a bed with more than one pug.
4. Begging – Now this is not something that happens every single time someone has food in our house but Ref does know how to beg for food. And the reason I hate the begging is that it is so so hard to say no to the most adorable face looking at me. Or that super cute, high pitched bark that says “Feed me. I’m starving. I haven’t eaten since 2 minutes ago.” Ref has this thing where he thinks if he moves a little bit and sits again that it will increase his chances of getting food, you know because good sitting boys get treats. But I do have to say, I think the part that I hate more than the begging side is the side of Ref that thinks as soon as you have finished eating, the plate is fair game. He cannot help himself. If we are eating at the kitchen table, as soon as everyone has eaten, he is on the table looking for scraps. If we are eating on the lounge, he is all up in your face whilst you eat and then going straight for the plate the second the last piece of food leaves it. And it really doesn’t matter how much you try to change the behaviour, it just doesn’t seem to matter when it comes to food. There are two words to describe Ref when it comes to food and that is food whore.
5. Nail clipping – I’m leaving this one ’til last cause I think this is probably hands down the worst thing with Ref. I mean, people talk about how painful it can be to take their pets to the vet and it sounds horrible, not that I can relate. Ref loves going to the vet. But nail clipping… oh my. That is a task and a half. It has always taken two people to clip his nails. I would hold him whilst mum would do the clipping. And even then it would take 10 minutes and I would end up covered in scratches. We tried the whole treat thing whilst it happened and it didn’t make a difference. In the end, I much rather spend the $10-$15 to take him to my local dog groomer to have them clipped regularly. And the best part, they get it done in just a few minutes.
So that’s my top 5 pug pet peeves. Does your pug do any or all of these? Or is there something you hate much more than what I listed? Let me know in the comments what your pug pet peeves are. I’d love to hear what other pugs are like.