10 Awesome Facts About Pugs
Who loves a bit of fact finding? I know I do and facts about pugs is just even better. So here are 10 awesome facts about pugs that you may or may not know.
1. The Pug originates from China and dates back to 400 BC making them one of the oldest breeds of dog.
2. A collective of pugs are called a grumble.
3. Pugs were bred to sleep on the laps of Chinese Emperors.
4. Pugs on average sleep more than most dogs, getting 14 hours of sleep each day.
5. They are brachycephalic meaning they have a broad but short head which leads to the many breathing problems pugs are known for.
6. Pugs were once used in the military. Good at tracking, in the 17th Century, pugs were used as guard dogs or tracking dogs to find people and/or other animals.
7. The German name for pug is Mops.
8. It is the largest dog of the toy breed category.
9. Prince William of Orange was saved by his pug, Pompey when some Spanish assassins launched an attack on the Prince whilst he was asleep. Pompey alerted the Prince by barking, scratching at the door followed by jumping on him which led to the Prince escaping the attack.
10. The Latin phrase “multum in parvo” is frequently used to describe pugs as it means “A lot of dog in a small space.”
How many of these 10 awesome facts about pugs did you already know? Have another awesome fact you’d like to share? Leave a comment below.